Wednesday 24 August 2011

Sepia Mitfords

Forthcoming from Vintage Classics, a reissuing of Nancy Mitford's four biographies of famous persons, with rather ace matching covers. All use limited sepia-toned palettes, silhouettes and lovingly detailed patterns. I wish I knew who had done these. [UPDATE: They are the work of Richard Merritt] My only concern is that the usual red spines of the Vintage Classics series will look a bit glarey here--perhaps they could make an exception and do them in a rich chocolatey brown?





Click for somewhat bigger versions.

8 comments:

David said...

They look to me like Niroot Puttapipat, though I might be wrong. Lovely covers anyway.

Ian Koviak said...

oooh! very nice illustrations indeed.

JRSM said...

David: Yes, I guessed either Niroot Puttapipat or Vania Zouravliov, but there's nothing at either of their sites (which have not been recently updated) to confirm it. Hmmm.

Ian: Aren't they? I hadn't intended to get these at first, but having seen the covers I can feel myself weakening...

LisaB said...

For amazing cover art see The Minutiae by Carter Faulk.

Matthew Adams said...

I like these a lot. Would have prefered them to not be sepia though, seems a tad too tasteful (though as a judge of taste I am highly suspect).

Banglar Bagh Halum said...

Oh Very nice, I love this cover arts....
Bangla Books

Anonymous said...

I commissioned Richard Merritt to illustrate these covers... and I'm really pleased with his work. thanks.

JRSM said...

Thanks for that information: I'll add it to the post, and do a follow-up on his other work. They're beautiful covers.