Wednesday 19 October 2011

Vexed

Am I alone in finding this poll on Random House Australia's website both ludicrous and infuriating in multiple ways?


And here's another ludicrous attempt to cash in on the classics, via the use of RANDOM CLASSIC PAINTED NUDE WOMEN on unrelated book covers, from "Vexin Classics".

The Monster's complaints of being ugly and unloved were strangely unconvincing

The musketeers were Athos, Porthos and Miss July

Elizabeth went to unexpected lengths to get Fitzwilliam Darcy's attention
Hucks's biggest adventure involved some surgery and hormone injections

"Just shut up and dance, Friday!"

There were more titles in this series, with similarly misleading covers (including some designed to appeal to the ladies), though they seem to have been deleted from sale. I can't imagine why...

7 comments:

Michael Allen said...

I think you made this up. It's Huck Finn, not Fuck Hinn.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Reminds me of that scene from the film "The Seven Year Itch" were the publisher decides to re-release "Little Women" as "Dormitory Girls" with a trashy pulp cover.

At least these covers are classier looking than the Bodice Buster romance junk that usually get painted covers.

I think I recognize Leighton and Waterhouse as some of the artists on display.

JRSM said...

Michael: Though I didn't make this up, I'm almost tempted to copy it--it would be pretty easy to put together some public-domain classics with super-sexy covers and get them on Amazon, just to see if they sell at all.

Erik: I'd forgotten that scene! yes, those are the artists used, among others--many of them are great paintings, just not entirely appropriate ones...

Carin Siegfried said...

Thanks for the laugh! Just imagining Elizabeth Bennett naked on a horse is anough to make me spit out my drink!

mpk said...

Not even going to make the pun on how vexing their choices are here. Nope, not at all.

Anonymous said...

You should have included the cover for Man-Size by William MacLeod Raine!!

JRSM said...

I wanted too--the pun wrote itself--but I couldn't find a big version 9so to speak).